Thursday, December 15, 2016

Cursive Handwriting: Does it Still Belong in Elementary Curriculum?


I'm gonna share my thinks about teaching cursive handwriting. So today I wanted to share a little bit about my reasoning around teaching cursive handwriting. It seems to be quite the disagreement right now. I gotta be honest with you, I'm somewhat torn about this topic and I'll tell you why. First of all ya know I teach 4th point and 4th point is quite the conceptual leap from 3rd to 4th point in what needs to be covered and the evaluations students have to take and I can tell you to teach cursive writing effectively it takes a lot of hour and I'm not sure I have the time to do that. I likewise go through this thought process about these students' futures. How much are they going to be using cursive as an adult? Well, I can tell you most adults sign their identities in cursive and beyond that it's kind of a mish-mash of print and cursive handwriting.

I can tell you that neither one of my sons who are adults now use cursive at all beyond their identities. We live in a technological age too where I honestly would prefer that students could keyboard efficiently and effectively more than be able to write in cursive. Is cursive important? Perhaps. I can tell you my own Mom supposes I should be teaching cursive handwriting and her reasoning is if students don't know cursive they won't be able to read the original Declaration of Independence and she thinks that's important. So I gotta say it's a valid point but again that's a lot of hours. So I do write in cursive on my white committee, it isn't perfect cursive by any means but the daily planned on my white committee I will alternate often between cursive and print so at least my students are discovering to read cursive.

I also require that my students hear to write their own call in cursive and on every paper they turn in their call has to be in cursive in the top privilege. I do help students with that, I give them rule, I show them models for cursive handwriting and for some students who have issues with fine motor skills we work a little bit harder on that constructing sure they are unable to write their first, middle and last name in cursive and kids think that's kind of fun. I treat them like movie stars sometimes and I ask them for their autograph and they're more than happy to practice writing that in cursive for me. So, let me give you a quick lesson of what my daily planned would look like writes to cursive on the board.
Alright, daily planned, here "there's going".

Alright, so you can see here what is an example of the daily planned that I post in my classroom and it's mostly writing to cursive. But this is real handwriting that students should be able to read and the committee also presents a student exactly is not simply the contents field but what we're going to be studying. In reading, I write down that they're going to need their mention volumes. So, this is real world utilize of cursive so students while they may not be able to write this space at least they're going to be able to read that space. So, you can teach it other than helping students write their own call. I'd love to hear your thoughts about this handwriting disagreement because I'm not sure which space to starts so perhaps you are able to steer me on this one.

Orginally from: https://classroomcaboodle.com/teacher-resource/teaching-handwriting/

No comments:

Post a Comment